Our fundraising Goal: $5240 Our Total so far: $5340

Our Fundraising Goal: $5240 Our Total as of today: $5500!!!







Can you belive it????



WE HAVE MET OUR GOAL!!!

And passed!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!



Who are we Fundraising for?....Team for Kids

For more information click on the "All About TEAM FOR KIDS" page tab or visit http://www.teamforkids.org/

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Running the Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon

First, I want to say thank you to all who have already contributed to TFK in our name through donations or through our cupcake sale. We are truly grateful. The final final tally for the cupcake sale was $475!!! Not bad huh?

This weekend was the MB Half-Marathon. It was so much fun. I spent a lot of the time laughing, which was exactly what I was hoping for. I wanted to have fun. I certainly did. I ate a lot too though. I kept rationalizing it with the fact that I burned 1365 calories on my run.

We left early Friday afternoon after Tara taught Core class that I attended. I need all the abs help I can get. We arrived about dinner time and went for pizza/carbs at The Mellow Mushroom down in MB. Then off to bed after prepping our stuff for the early wake up for the race. We set our alarms for 415am to leave about 540am for the 630 am start. It was still dark when the race started which was cool. The temperature to start was @52 degrees. Not only was the company fun, but the weather was perfect. It was a little windy at times but not hot or cold.

I am very proud of my time. I think I will always want better. However, there are things that happen during races at are out of your control. Some races have pace groups. This one only had it for the full Marthoners, so we spent a lot of the first part weaving in and out. It was interesting in the end because all the weaving made the race end up being 13.2 on the Garmin for me. It amazing too how there are highs and lows in a race that long. You'll start cruising along then come upon a water stop or someone will cramp up and stop in front of you. It's not like you just run straight and flat for the whole race. That would be nice though.

I did meet some interesting people too. There was one lady that was making me insane too. She sang the same song while listening to her iPod for 3 miles(that's about 27 minutes straight). I was joking with some ladies that I was wondering if there would be a band. I was so close to changing her ipod or tossing it in the ocean when I finally lost her. It did make me run faster though;). There were some torturous things too. Like passing Krispy Kreme while they had their "Hot" light on. And another was passing Ihop @7am when they were cooking bacon. It smelled so yummy.

I will tell you if you have never gone to watch a Half-Marathon or Marathon you should try to do so. There we're so many different types of people. One of the cutesy things I saw was a husband running along the spectator part with his wife(both were about 75 years old) carrying flowers for here. They both had the most amazing smiles on their face. Another cute thing was an 8 year old boy finishing the race with his mom! Watching the girls we went with was amazing too. They have such drive. I am not sure where they get it from but it's amazing. There times in a full marathon out mine to shame. Maybe someday I'll get a little close to their abilities, but for now I just live awestruck. I am a little scared watching them complete 26.2 miles and thinking there is about 258 days before I will be attempting that.

For myself, I beat my goal. I know a few of you out there are waiting for me to tell you the time, but that only really matters to me. I had a goal of a few minutes better than my last half and I beat that by over 2 more minutes. I know in some ways that may not seem like much but to put it in perspective, on average I cut over 25 second off per mile. I am super happy with that. My hard work paid off. I am proud of myself.

If you didn't see, I found a temporary mantra during the half of "Courage to start. Balls to finish.". Its not bad. Not quite right, but it did give me a little push on Saturday. Thanks for all of you that sent the "speedy vibes". They certainly helped. Hope you had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment