Our fundraising Goal: $5240 Our Total so far: $5340

Our Fundraising Goal: $5240 Our Total as of today: $5500!!!







Can you belive it????



WE HAVE MET OUR GOAL!!!

And passed!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!



Who are we Fundraising for?....Team for Kids

For more information click on the "All About TEAM FOR KIDS" page tab or visit http://www.teamforkids.org/

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Philosophical Weekend Run

This weekends run was slated as a 10 miler, but ended up 10.5.  We added the last bad hill for good measure.  Not really just wanted to get home.  Sunday is Anthony's 13th Birthday and we didn't want to run on his big day.  So our run had to be super early on Saturday morning...545am was our start time.  We started early also because Anthony had a Future City Competition at NC State with the Future Engineers for 2011 Engineers Week. Side note:  He won $200 for his school for "Best Recycling Plan and Use of Recycled Materials". 

With all that said, on my run yesterday I really did alot of thinking.  Having Anthony turning 13 has made me look at a couple of things.  First, how old I am.  Second, at the job we are doing.  Let me start by saying we are super proud of the young man has become.  I heard a quote once that said "We are not raising children, we are raising adults.  As parents, we started out putting our kids into everything we wanted them to do.  That didn't last long because we realized it wasnt making them happy plus it was costing us alot.  We have since focussed on what they want to do.  Most of the time they just want to play outside with their friends.  It's an intereting lesson too. There are so many adults that still do things because others do them.  They don't do things with their own goals, just to beat others.  They do things to be better than others or only because others are doing them.  It's not friendly competition either.  It's actually pretty sad.  We are raising our children like we live our lives.  We are raising them to do activities they enjoy and set realistic, yet challenging goals for themselves.

So if you start running.  Don't worry so much about others and their goals.  Do it for yourself.  Do what you are comfortable with.  Also do what you enjoy.  I can't say I enjoy getting up so early, but I do enjoy the running now.  I enjoy the companionship of running with people I enjoy also.  I am not out running to beat my running partners.  I am out to enjoy my run and their company.  I am in this ultimately for myself.  

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment